My workshop is heated with a wood burning stove. Last year was my first year using wood instead of my forced-air propane heater.
Buying cured (dried out) firewood in the fall/winter is somewhat expensive. I can save considerably if I buy freshly cut (green) wood in the summer.
So the plan is to build a large enough rack so I can stock up on cheap spring/summer-time wood. Getting wood earlier in the year also gives it time to dry out before its needed.
I need to build a fairly large storage rack. Ideally it will be large enough to wood for the entire winter season.
I am not sure what will be my wood consumption rate. Based on last year, I figure I need wood to burn for five months with three months being especially cold.
I do not use the workshop everyday. When I do use it weekday (after work) and weekend usage differs.
It will be interesting to see how much wood is consumed over the entire heating season. Knowing me I will probably keep a log or use some tracking methodology.
I considered several possible locations. I ended up putting it next to the building on the sunny side for several reasons:
- In the winter, being close to the building means less time out in the cold when fetching wood.
- In the summer, whenever wood is stacked up, it will help shade the building to keep it cooler.
I left enough distance from the building to allow air to circulate around the wood. This will help the wood dry out.
In South Carolina mildew can be a bit of a problem so allowing enough space to maintain proper air flow is essential.
Firewood rack design
I have some unused galvanized metal pipes and wanted to incorporate them into the firewood rack design. I ended up laying these pipes across concrete plinths to support the wood.
The plinths are spaced about 5-1/2′ apart. The entire firewood rack is about 28 feet long.
Leveling the ground
There is a slope right where I wanted to place this rack. Instead of leveling all the ground, I just filled in where the concrete plinths sit.
So one side is elevated a bit to match the existing higher side.
This was an easy fix. I then mulched everything so it looks nice.
You may also like...